We learned a lot having the miniature cows.
1. You can learn to do anything from the internet, even milk a cow
2. Making cheese is not impossible - sometimes it turns out with surprisingly great results that are impossible to replicate, ie bluecheese/cheddar
3. Dexter cows are a particularly wild breed - if we get cows again, we will not get Dexters. They became difficult to handle, even given their small size. "Small relative to what??" was the common remark guests made when seeing these 600lb beauties.
4. The meat was really great - and even more tasty than other small farm grass-fed beef we've had. One reason - I think the butcher we used was fantastic - Eaglebridge Custom Meats in NY State.
5. Cows and hogs do a great job clearing the ground weeds in a forest. We used both to clear our woods, then we thinned the trees and planted seed, expanding our acreage for grazing considerably.